Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A lull in production brings forth creativity

There has been a lull in my production of pictures lately. However, not a days goes by that I don't think about my photography. Lately, I've been grappling finding my artistic voice. I am no longer satisfied to just take candid street shots. There is nothing wrong with candid street shots, there are plenty of fantastic photographers out there that are success with this type of shooting, but that is not how I want to define myself as an artist. My latest interests are night photography, specifically light painting and strobes. I like how desolate the city can feel at night, especially in Astoria. I want to use my art to connect other people. This is where I feel like my social work is going to come into play. How can I use my skills as a social worker, psychologist, and photographer to help others? I don't have the answer to that question...yet.

I have recently found motivation in watching TED talks. If you haven't discovered this website yet, you need to do it now. RIGHT NOW! The talks are typically 15 minutes and cover an array of topics. I have started to find most of my inspiration for my photography from other art forms, such as literature, poetry, sculpture, etc. I just haven't quite figured out how to translate this into images. Even though I haven't been shooting much, I have actually enjoyed this part of the creative process. I am asking why? Why am I shooting? What am I shooting? And what am I trying to say?

Here are a few of my favorite TED talks so far:
Vik Muniz: Art with Wire and Sugar
Olafur Eliasson: Playing with Space and Light

Enjoy!

No comments: